Victim wants to testify at Heiner probe
THE SUNDAY MAIL
June 04, 2011 5:00PM
A 20-year controversy involving politicians, shredded documents and "hush money" is set to be re-opened when Senator Nick Xenophon - with Coalition support - moves to open a new probe into what has become known as the Heiner Affair.
The victim, 36, will be able to reveal why she received $140,000 in compensation last year for an alleged crime that happened in 1988.
The shock new inquiry into "Shreddergate" means the victim can ignore the confidentiality agreement she signed before receiving the funds because the right to speak to Federal Senators trumps the agreement.
The Queensland woman alleges she was just 14 years old when on a supervised bush outing she was pack raped. No one was ever charged.
At the time, she was a ward of the state at the now-closed John Oxley Detention Centre.
The victim met with Senator Xenophon's staff in Brisbane on Friday and revealed she wanted to tell the inquiry her story.
Senator Xenophon and the Coalition will need one more Senator to set-up the inquiry, and will probably win the support of outgoing Victorian Senator Steve Fielding.
A spokesman for Senator Fielding said that on "face value" the inquiry would be supported but more information would be sought from the Conservatives and Senator Xenophon.
Senator Xenophon, approached by a whistleblower, said new questions needed to be asked about the "hush" money.